UF community responds to Ukraine invasion
Many members of the University of Florida community have been directly or indirectly affected by the events currently taking place in Ukraine. The university is responding in solidarity and with support for its Ukrainian students and employees and other members of the UF community impacted by the unfolding events.
As UF President Kent Fuchs tweeted on the day of the invasion:
“As we watch the events unfolding in Ukraine today, we are thinking of our Ukrainian students and praying for peace for the entire region.”
The Division of Student Life last week reached out to Ukrainian and Russian students – undergraduate and graduate as well as postdocs – to offer support and care.
On Tuesday night, the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences hosted a panel discussion, “War in Ukraine: Why, How and What Happens Next” that was attended by more than 300 people.
And on Wednesday night, the university illuminated Century Tower in the colors of the Ukraine flag – blue and yellow – and posted the image above on social media.
Many members of the UF community have expressed their support visibly and tangibly.
For anyone who may be experiencing hardship, stress or anxiety as a result of the situation in Ukraine, the following resources are available:
- UF's Employee Assistance Program offers UF employees — including graduate assistants — and their household members someone to talk to 24/7. Both telehealth and in-person counseling are available by calling (833) 306-0103.
- The UF Counseling and Wellness Center is available to support both graduate and undergraduate students. Students may call (352) 392-1575 for assistance.
- UF can provide funding to students experiencing unanticipated expenses due to an emergency situation. Any student experiencing any financial-aid related issues or concerns, please contact the Office for Student Financial Aid and Scholarships to discuss financial aid options that might be available.
- Members of the UF community experiencing food insecurity can visit the Hitchcock Field and Fork Pantry.
- For more information about some of the resources available to you, please contact Student Life staff by reaching out to our CARE Area at email@example.com.