Reitz Union renovation, expansion now complete
UF students, faculty and staff can finally enjoy a renovated and expanded J. Wayne Reitz Union following a $70.7 million, 2 1/2-year project.
A host of Reitz Union staff and student representatives wearing bright blue T-shirts will be on hand the week of Feb. 1 to answer questions and provide directions for visitors exploring the new space as construction crews put the finishing touches on a brand-new interior.
"We have been looking forward to this day for a long time,” said Eddie Daniels, executive director of the Reitz Union. “Now that it's here, we couldn't be more excited. The building is absolutely beautiful and will enhance the student experience on our campus for many years to come."
To mark the completion of the construction project, UF’s Division of Student Affairs invites all Gators to participate in a Reitz Union Grand Re-opening Celebration Feb. 15-20. The celebration will include:
- Re-opening of the Game Room, Monday, Feb. 15
- A student organization fair, 10 a.m.-2 p.m., Wednesday, Feb. 17
- A department open house, noon-2 p.m., Thursday, Feb. 18
- Guest speaker Lil B in the Reitz Union Grand Ballroom, Thursday, Feb. 18; doors open 8 p.m., show starts 8:30 p.m.
- GatorNights – Wonderland: Celebrating 15 Years, Friday, Feb. 19
- A ribbon-cutting ceremony, 2 p.m., Saturday, Feb. 20
- Center for Leadership and Service non-profit reception and tour, 4:30-5:30 p.m., Saturday, Feb. 20
Recently selected to receive a 2016 award from the city of Gainesville’s City Beautification Board for its contribution to improving the attractiveness of the city, the Reitz Union expansion boasts about 138,000 square feet of new space.
Included is office and support space for student organizations including Student Government, the Center for Leadership and Service, the Department of Student Activities and Involvement, the Office of Multicultural and Diversity Affairs and GatorWell Health Promotion Services.
The expanded space also features new lounges, study spaces, meeting rooms, a game room, dance studios and a reflection room.
Students, faculty and staff are encouraged to RSVP for the ribbon-cutting ceremony at http://www.ufsa.ufl.edu/about/initiatives/all_campus_reitz_union_grand_reopening_celebration_rsvp/ or on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/events/1178476048847957/.
For more information about celebration events, go to http://www.union.ufl.edu/itstime.